Sunday 5 February 2012

Meet The Fans - Doug Watson

Name - Doug Watson
Doug Watson

Age 49

Occupation - Retail

Where are you from? I live outside of  Glasgow in a place called Morningside, Wishaw

How did you get into The Alarm? I Stumbled onto them one night when I went to see a certain up and coming Irish band called U2 at the Lyceum Ballroom in London.

What is your favourite song by The Alarm? It's a hard question to answer and I'll be a bit cheeky by naming a couple! With the original line up I'd probably say it's a toss up between "Howling Wind" and "One Step Closer To Home" (with "Howling Wind" just grabbing the top spot by an inch or two.) With the line up that has been on the go since 2000 I love "Few And Far Between" from "Under Attack" and I'm quite partial to "Higher Call"  and "Milk And Opportunity" both on the "Direct Action" album, but the one song that was part of the Bond series, that I wish they would officially release, because it is a brilliant song is "In The Beauty Of My Surroundings".

What is your favourite album by The Alarm? "Declaration" (Original Line Up) and "Direct Action" (Current)

What is your best Alarm memory? Probably seeing them live for the first time back in 81 with U2 or it would be easy to say the night I became a member of The Alarm for One Night Only (25th May 2011) in Glasgow.

First Alarm gig? As mentioned above, the U2 show.

What was the first record you ever bought? First was Big Brother & The Holding Company (Featuring Janis Joplin) "Cheap Thrills" album way back in 1972 (nine years old). First single would have been a Slade, "Coz I Luv You" in 1971.

What other bands or artists do you like? I have a very wide range of musical tastes and so it's always hard to say who I like that best. I'll go with Bruce Springsteen, Otis Redding, Slade, The Clash, The Godfathers and Aztec Camera (and I could name a lot more than that!)

What is your favourite film? I don't really go to the movies much these days but I'd say one of my fave films is a French movie titled "Diva".

What is your favourite TV show? At this present moment it's "Fringe".

What is your favourite book? "The Bible" and probably "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac.

Any last words? As in what do I want on my gravestone?...Being a fan of The Alarm has enriched my life in so many ways, the main one being that I've been able to build some great relationships with people from different countries and various walks of life. We may have differing likes and dislikes but the one bond that has held us together is the music of The Alarm. I count many, if not all, of those relationships to be very special. It's a great community to be a part of.

Would you like to be featured on Meet The Fans? Simply send in your answers to the above questions to inthepoppyfields@gmail.com Don't forget to include a photo!

1 comment: